Monday, April 14, 2014

The Pelican Bride

The Pelican Bride A Novel by: Beth White...putting it on my shopping List...for my Nook...I think it is my Kind of story...grannyg

About

She's come to the New World to escape a perilous past. But has it followed her to these far shores?
It is 1704 when Frenchwoman Geneviève Gaillain and her sister board the frigate Pélican bound for the distant Louisiana colony. Both have promised to marry one of the rough men toiling in this strange new world in order to escape suffering in the old. Geneviève knows life won't be easy, but at least here she can establish a home and family without fear of persecution for her outlawed religious beliefs. 
When she falls in love with Tristan Lanier, an expatriate cartographer-turned-farmer whose checkered past is shrouded in mystery, Geneviève realizes that even in this land of liberty one is not guaranteed peace. Trouble is brewing outside the fort between the French colonists and the native people surrounding them. And an even more sinister enemy may lurk within. Could the secret Geneviève harbors mean the undoing of the colony itself?
Gulf Coast native Beth White brings vividly to life the hot, sultry South in this luscious, layered tale.

I loved this book! How could I not? It involved Canadians! :) I am Canadian; and while I am not French Canadian, I enjoyed reading a book that touched on a different piece of history. Beth takes you on a journey to the Golf Coast with the men and women who settled there. It was slower getting started as all the characters were introduced but I promise you it is worth the read... There is mystery, conflict, romance, struggle and forgiveness. If you have read Lori Benton or Laura Frantz and loved their books I guarantee that you will enjoy The Pelican Bride. It is beautifully written. You will fall in love with Genevieve and Tristan as they learn to love and forgive each other and themselves.

Love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment